Kirkland, WA • Starting immediately
Time Commitment: Part-time; 12 to 18 hours a week
Level: Professional, Administration
Location: On-site, Flexible, Partially Remote available
Pay: hourly; $18-$19/ hour depending on experience
Reports to: Gallery Curator
About Kirkland Arts Center
Kirkland Arts Center (KAC) is a regionally recognized non-profit using the arts to ignite individual growth and self-expression, build community spirit, and cultivate cultural vibrancy.
Kirkland Arts Center seeks an Exhibitions Coordinator to join our tight-knit nonprofit community and contribute to a vibrant, arts-minded culture on the Eastside. For nearly 60 years, KAC has served Kirkland and the Eastside and now offers a wide array of visual arts classes and contemporary art exhibitions, all within the historic landmark Peter Kirk Building. This is a unique opportunity for job growth and professional development within our education department.
Under the supervision of the Gallery Curator, the Exhibitions Coordinator assists the Curator in the installation and deinstallation of gallery exhibitions as well as day-to-day operations of the Kirkland Arts Center Gallery. Other responsibilities include sending and receiving exhibition paperwork to artists, scheduling artist deliveries, facilitating positive gallery visitor experiences during open hours, and assisting the Marketing Department in preparing printed gallery materials.
Above all, the Exhibitions Coordinator should be committed to ensuring our mission is carried out in an inclusive, responsible, and ethical way. Candidates should be committed to fostering a culture of transparency, inclusivity, curiosity, and collaboration.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handles artwork according to gallery best practices and standards
- Communicates with artists respectfully and in a timely fashion
- Manages exhibition calendar (gallery exhibitions, gallery events, satellite exhibitions, external programs and events) effectively and problem solves appropriately when needed
- Trains new Gallery Assistants. Manages Gallery Assistants schedules and assists with needs that arise within the gallery
- Prepares gallery materials (labels for artwork, artist statements, checklist) and shares information with appropriate departments in a timely manner
- Responsible for the sale of artwork
- Properly makes the sale to the client (including tax rates, shipping and customer information, logging the sale in necessary documents)
- Pays the artist commission in a timely manner
- Coordinates the retrieval of the artwork
- Schedules artwork pickups and drop offs in an organized fashion
- Schedules during the correct time period, including the shipment of artwork
- Receives the proper paperwork for each piece in the gallery
- Communicates clearly with artists about policies and standards of the gallery
- Properly manages rentals of the gallery for events in partnership with the Operations Manager
- Accurately calculates rates and takes payment for event
- Schedules staffing if applicable
- Communicates effectively with the rental party about policies and expectations
- Handles damages to artwork appropriately and to the standards of the gallery
- Safely and efficiently prepares the gallery for upcoming exhibitions
Our Ideal Candidate
We are seeking a person with a passion for the arts and a commitment to growing within the role.
Ideal candidates should have a working knowledge of contemporary art and practices, be comfortable using or learning to use InDesign and database software, and have some experience in retail or other public-facing positions.
The Kirkland Art Center Gallery is a non-profit sales gallery focused on exhibitions that address pressing issues in contemporary society while providing a platform for art center instructors and students to exhibit their work.
Kirkland Arts needs people who value a growth mindset—people who are willing to do things differently, test ideas out, fail and get back up again. We hope to find someone who is curious and can lead people with their heart, while vulnerable and authentic. We expect you to share our values of trust in one another, transparency, integrity, cross-cultural respect and sensitivity, and celebrating small wins.
Given the nature of the work Kirkland Arts takes on, and the demands associated with a mixed remote and in-person model, the new Exhibitions Coordinator will need to be a team player with strong communication skills, an eye for detail, and keen organizational habits.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to develop trust and maintain deep relationships with a variety of diverse students, partners, and community members.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan out program creation steps, create and meet deadlines, manage complex schedules, communicate through challenges, and stay highly organized with competing priorities and information. Operates with thoughtfulness and a sense of urgency around accomplishing goals.
- Positive and enthusiastic style, open to coaching
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving, including the ability to pivot to meet immediate needs, or address unforeseen student needs, as they arise
- A persistent commitment to communication in the face of challenge
- Proficiency with Google Sheets, Documents, Forms, Calendar, and Gmail and a willingness to learn new programs and systems
The strongest candidates will have:
- Direct experience within the arts community, which can be in a combination of volunteer, academic, or professional capacity, with enthusiasm about advocating the importance of the arts to our communities.
- Familiarity with InDesign or related software is a very strong plus.
Hours, Location & Conditions
Kirkland Arts Center is based in Kirkland, Washington. Our team works in the historic Peter Kirk Building, as well as remotely. This role will require some in-person hours, but some days can be worked remotely.
Weekly hours: 12 – 18; hours are relatively flexible and may require weekend and evening time for installation and deinstallation and special events.
Compensation: $18-19 hr depending on experience
Benefits: Kirkland Arts Center offers medical and dental, as well as one free art course a semester, in addition to generous PTO, and professional training.
KAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our staff, students, and governing institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: EXHIBITIONS COORDINATOR
First Review: September 9, 2021.
Deadline to apply: September 23, 2021 5:00 PM PST
Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis after September 9th.